Among the impressive glass collection of the museum, is the Wine glass engraved with scenes depicting a female slave resting under a tree and a male slave with a shovel and a sheaf of sugar cane at the Siparipabo sugar plantation in Surinam. The other scene shows the plantation owner’s house, the sugar mill and the slave huts.
The glass was probably ordered at the beginning of the 18th century by the owner of the plantation, Catharina Marcus, widow of Willem Pedij d’Oude.
From the moment when the Netherlands exchanged Surinam as a colony for New Amsterdam (now New York) in 1667, approximately 100,000 in the 17th century and approx. 400,000 in the 18th century African men and women were taken there to work as slaves on the plantations.
By 1775, there were around 600 plantations in Surinam, most of which were for sugar. There were still around 35,000 slaves in the colony when the Netherlands abolished slavery in 1863.